Awards and accolades
- The Students’ Union and the University’s Centre for Enhancement of Learning and Teaching (CELT) are named Best Practice winner in the NUS Student Engagement Awards 2011. They win the award for the Virtual Students’ Union and are praised for preparing prospective students for progression into higher education and integrating into university life
- The University’s International Office becomes a winner of a prestigious Times Higher Education Leadership and Management Award for 2011 for Outstanding International Strategy.
- Ben Whitehouse, a graduate in Animation, wins a prestigious Royal Television Society Student Animation Award for his stop motion film Til Death Do Us Part.
- Gary Holt, Professor of Innovation in Machinery Management (Centre for Business Innovation and Enterprise), receives a prestigious award at the Emerald Literati Network Awards for Excellence 2011. The accolade is awarded for Professor Holt’s paper on construction business procurement, which looks at research impact in this field over the last two decades.
- Angela Gilraine scoops the prestigious ‘Student of the Year’ award from the Chartered Institute of Housing. Angela worked in housing for 22 years as a caretaker and then a concierge when she embarked on a foundation degree in professional housing studies at Birmingham City University in 2007.