Deputy Head of the School of Education and Social Work
Joanne was born and educated locally in the north of Birmingham. She trained to become a teacher on a four-year undergraduate route in the Black Country. Joanne's expertise is predominantly in early years and KS1 and before joining Birmingham City University, she was Deputy Head Teacher/Acting Head Teacher at Acocks Green Infant and Nursery School in Birmingham.
Joanne's expertise is predominantly in early years and KS1 and before joining Birmingham City University, she was Deputy Head Teacher/Acting Head Teacher at Acocks Green Infant and Nursery School in Birmingham.
- Line manager of a team within the School.
- Trained appraiser.
- Trained investigating officer.
- Overview the budget for the School.
- Review and judge applications from course teams for specialist or visiting lecturers.
- Trained interview panel member and sit on panels for new appointments.
- Lead staff training events for academic and administrative staff
- Organise and deploy teaching staff.
- Lead the annual writing of the SED.
- Support the management of the School's work and individual staff workload.
- Lead teams through Ofsted inspections and support QAA inspections.
- Lead the development of primary School Direct
- Sit as an elected member of a number of committees and disseminate the main issues for the School including:
- Academic Standards and Quality Enhancement Committee
- Marketing and Recruitment Forum
- Module Approval Committee
- Primary and Early Years Partnership Committee
- The School Advisory Board
- Chair Exam Boards, Boards of Study and other relevant meetings and committees.
- Present at headteachers regional groups and conferences.
- Coordinate external projects
- Support the work of SCITT programmes validated by Birmingham City University:
- Birmingham Training Partnership
- Attend UCET Primary and Early Years Committee meeting and regional ITT providers meetings.
- Write or support the writing of external bids and their subsequent implementation.
- Externally examine other programmes.
- Sit as a panel member on validation events.
- Sit as a panel member on Breakdown of Placement and Fitness to Practice Panels.
- Sit as a panel member on Student Disciplinary Panels.
- Course Director of the PGCE Primary and Early Years course.
- Play an active role in the Course Directors’ Forum.
- Teach on a range of undergraduate and postgraduate programmes.
- Present materials electronically and make use of Moodle (Virtual Learning Environment).
- Part of a team developing a virtual town including a law office, health centre and a primary and secondary school.
- Supervise trainee teachers on placement.
- Train new mentors.
- Organise and host events from related organisations such as the TA and Ruth Miskin Literacy.
- Manage admissions and recruitment.
- Interview applicants for a range of courses.
- Monitor and quality assure retention and achievement.
Areas of Expertise
- School Leadership
- Course Leadership
- Primary English
- Department for Education and Skills: National Professional Qualification for Headship
- The University of Birmingham: Masters in Education: Educational and Child Psychology
- The Polytechnic of Wolverhampton : Bachelor of Education with English: Second Class Honours 1st Division
Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy