Starting university is exciting and getting involved in mentoring is a great way to learn about life at Birmingham City University.
From which societies to join to finding out about the support the University has to offer, taking part in mentoring lets you speak to someone who has ‘been there, done that’ so you can learn from their experiences.
The Careers and Job Prospects team operates three successful mentoring programmes:
Online Peer Mentoring
Offers you the opportunity to gain support from experienced students in settling into life at university.
Mentoring can help with:
- Finding on and off campus support services
- Advice on your work, study and social life balance
- Explaining unfamiliar university processes and procedures
When you move into your penultimate or final year at University, you may also be interested in becoming a mentor yourself, giving you a chance to develop your skills and share your experiences with new students by:
- Developing leadership and communication skills
- Experiencing a position of responsibility, and developing professional skills that are essential in the workplace
- Enhancing your CV by participating in a voluntary activity that employers value
Online Employer Mentoring
This service gives students direct access to alumni professionals and globally based employers. Mentors are able to provide:
- Industry insight to develop your commercial awareness
- Support in developing your employability skills and explore possible career options
- Preparation for the world of work and develop your employer network
To get involved, or for more information on our online mentoring programmes, visit www.askbcu.org.
Inspiring Futures Mentoring Scheme
Inspiring Futures professional mentoring scheme brings together final year students with working professionals based in the West Midlands.
In recognition of the impact the Inspiring Futures Mentoring Scheme can make to the personal development of both mentees and mentors, we have achieved full accreditation status from the Mentoring and Befriending Foundation. This national quality kite mark provides evidence that the scheme is effective, safe, and professional
It is a chance to:
- Improve your CV, application forms, and interview techniques
- Develop essential skills that employers want, such as communication skills, problem solving and the ability to meet deadlines
- Get a greater understanding of the professional industry and the jobs available
- Expand your professional network.
In response to student feedback, all fully engaged participants will receive a certificate of participation to add to their portfolio of achievements.
For more information on our Student Mentoring Initiatives Ask Us at Student Affairs, or phone +44 (0)121 331 7245.