What are cookies?
A "cookie" is a small piece of data that is created on your computer or mobile device when you visit a website or web application.
- Remember information about you and your privacy preferences, so you don't have to repeatedly give it to us.
- Help us understand how our services are being used by analysing how people move around our website. This helps us monitor our site's health and determine how we can improve your experience.
- Provide functionality that enhances your experience like the Saved Courses basket.
Types of cookies
There are different types of cookies as classified below. Cookies are either:
- Session cookies: These cookies only exist as long as you are using the University website, and will be removed from your computer/device when your session expires or you close your browser.
- Persistent cookies: These are cookies which stay on your computer or device after your browser has been closed for an amount of time as specified by the cookie.
- First-party cookies: Set by the website you are visiting. Only that website can read them.
- Third-party cookies: Set by someone other than the website you are visiting. Some pages on the University website may contain content from third-party sites such as YouTube, Twitter and Flickr. Birmingham City University does not have control over these cookies.
Cookies can be further categorised as follows:
These cookies include storing your privacy preferences so we don't ask you for them repeatedly. They are essential to enable you to use the website effectively and do not hold any personally identifiable information.
|bcu-consent||This cookie is used to store your decision regarding privacy on our website.|
|bcu-privacy||This cookie records specific privacy decisions you may have made either through updating your consent or using the 'manage privacy settings' page.|
|.AspNet.Cookies, ASP.NET_SessionId||These session cookies are used to enable core website functionality. It is automatically deleted a short time after leaving our website or when you close your browser.|
|ai-session, ai-user||These cookies are set by Microsoft Application Insights and allow us to monitor server and application performance.|
|siteimproveses||This monitoring cookie allows us to record website activity so we can analyse the performance of our site and identify improvements to our service.|
|bcu-courses||This functional cookie is used to record courses you have saved and viewed. We also use it to record the last search you conducted. This cookie is essential to several features used within our website.|
These cookies are used by third-party providers and are served from their own domains. They include, but are not limited to, the following:
How to control cookies
If you want to check or change what types of cookies you accept, this can usually be altered within your browser settings. You can block cookies at any time by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our site.
More about cookies