Our new centre aimed at encouraging the collaboration of the arts, science, technology, engineering and maths (STEAM) sectors
What is STEAMhouse?
STEAMhouse has been created in partnership with Eastside Projects, and is funded by the European Regional Development Fund and Arts Council England. STEAMhouse will drive innovation and research to create business solutions that fuel long-term economic growth.
How can STEAMhouse help you?
- Our experimental STEAMlabs workshops focus on product development, collaborative making and societal challenges, led by industry talent.
- Subscription-based access to fabrication facilities support creative SMEs and individuals with the development of new products.
- It will host networking events and learning activities to build a community of practice.
- It will forge new relationships and partnership projects with venues, organisations, artists, festivals and conferences.
- Thirty £2,500 grants will be offered to selected SMEs and sole traders to cover materials for early stage prototyping.
- The first phase of STEAMhouse will be a free and open opportunity for businesses to make use of the facilities.
Phase 1: Digbeth High Street
The first phase of STEAMhouse, which will initially be housed on Digbeth High Street from late 2017, will enable businesses to develop innovative ideas and creative products in a collaborative setting. The building will have specially designed spaces to encourage businesses to incubate new ideas, and prototype new creative products and services. It will also house a new fabrication facility focusing on experimenting with digital, wood, metal and print production. The project will engage with at least 200 SMEs in the Greater Birmingham, Solihull Local Enterprise Partnership (GBS LEP) area over a three-year period.
During the second phase of the STEAMhouse project, £22.2 million will be invested in a large-scale collaborative centre made up of mixed incubation, collaboration and maker space in the heart of Birmingham. A new STEAMhouse education facility called STEAMacademy will create interdisciplinary courses with industry input to drive talent.
Interested in what STEAMhouse can offer your business?
Please send us an enquiry, selecting 'STEAMhouse', and briefly summarise your challenge. We will then get in touch to see how you can be part of the STEAMhouse project.